Wouldn’t it be great to enjoy ALL of the things we crave without falling off the wagon? Have no fear, because recipe swaps like these will allow you to enjoy your favourite treats while staying lean, clean and green!
– PANCAKES: Try mixing 2 eggs, 1 mashed ripe banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Delicious!
– Need a healthy whipped cream to put on top? Vanilla greek yogurt whisked with a bit of cinnamon makes a delicious, decadent pancake topper!
– What about a dairy-free option? Try placing a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight (Try not to shake it or move it around so has time to settle), then open the can and gently scoop the top layer out. Give it a whisk. It looks just like whipped cream only it is good for you. Add some vanilla extract and a touch of stevia and BAM! Deliciousness!
– Are you a cookie addict? Try mixing 2 ripe mashed bananas with 1 cup of gluten-free quick oats until everything is wet. Option to add a few extra healthy ingredients (like crushed walnuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, cinnamon). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. You’re welcome. 🙂
– Do you love sipping gatorade after a workout? Try coconut water instead! It replenishes the body and keeps you hydrated just like gatorade, only it doesn’t have added sugar or chemicals, and it is actually GOOD for you! If you struggle with the taste at first, try adding a bit to smoothies or dilute some with filtered water.
– Are you a pasta-holic? Lots of people love spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles, but I’ll be honest with you. I prefer ZOODLES. (And no, not the kind from a can.)I like zucchini noodles! They have a thicker, more solid texture than I get from real pasta, but they’re nutritious and beneficial to the body. I add them to my favourite healthy sauces and salads, I make a GREAT healthy pad thai recipe with them, or I will even eat them raw! If you’ve never tried zucchini noodles, get to it! They are definitely worth adding to your weekly veggie rotation!
– Do you crave salt like it’s going out of style? Are you a potato chip addict? You my friend should give kale chips a try! Yes, it sounds totally gross, but let me tell you something – Kale chips are amazing! There are tonnes of tutorials online on how to make them, too. They have the crunch and saltiness of a chip, but they’re a superfood! Score!
– COFFEE LOVERS REJOICE! There is an alternative to cream and sugar that tastes even BETTER! Try a splash of coconut milk and a half a packet of stevia in your next cup of java. It doesn’t leave you feeling icky or heavy, and you can actually feel guilt-free if you go for a second cup!
These are just a few of my favourite healthy substitutes! Do you have any you’d like to share? Post your favourites in the comments below!